Welcome

Welcome to my Communication in Cyberspace Blog!!!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Digital Convergence


What is Digital Convergence? Well, Digital Convergence is the new way that we are looking at media, news and other print sources. It allows us to have information that is from television, movies, photography, and printed text, combine it into one digital format and view it on our computers, cell phones, I-Pods, and any other piece of electronic equipment that has the abilities to receive data.
Companies all over are coming up with these digital devices. For example, the I-Pad, that Apple developed. This allows users to read the newspaper in digital format.
To be honest, I am not sure I am too fond of these new gizmos, they appear to be way to "digital". I think it takes something away from you when your holding this device in your hands and reading as opposed to actually holding the real newspaper or book in your hands. Its almost like these things are taking away from person to person contact. But again, this is my opinion.
Amazon has came out with their Kindle, a lightweight, thin, digital device that allows users to read and store their library of books in electronic format. You can even download books right to the device and you can research and locate books that are now out of copyright. It even comes with 3G wireless!! I have a friend that has one of these and she just loves it, but I still think I would rather have the actual books. Here is a short video on the Amazon Kindle, in case you want to learn more. There are a few others out there such as the Sony Reader, the Aluratek Libre Ebook and Microsoft's Courier And it's not just books that are changing, now you can stream videos from your laptop to your t.v through a device that Sony has called the Push 2 T.V.
Of course you cannot stream DVD's that are copy-protected or that are Blue-Rays.
People are using these devices to make their lives easier and more organized. Such as the digital picture frames where they can organize their photos, or they even have digital scrapbooking.
These devices allow people to have their own infinite "shelf space", they can store hundreds of pictures or books without running out of "space". And it allows authors to distribute their own work how they want to without the constraints of copyright. If the past ten years has proven to be a success, then the next ten years will be a bigger success. With all the technology that is still to be developed then who knows how much farther we can go. Here is a list of the past ten years top picks for technology.




References:
http://www.macworld.com/article/145480/2010/01/otellini_ces.html

Picture and information courtesy of :
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/microsofts-courier-digital-journal-exclusive-pictures-and-de/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/jan/28/can-apple-ipad-save-newspapers

http://dcc.syr.edu/index.php


http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015T963C/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4466007531&ref=pd_sl_93qxhnzinw_e

Picture of Digital photo frame courtesy of:
http://www.laptop-battery-inc.co.uk/image/10.4%20Inch%20Digital%20Picture%20Frame%20%28Toughened%20Glass%291-big.jpg

CNET top 10:
http://www.cnet.com/1990-11136_1-6312246-1.html



5 comments:

  1. You brought up a new form of convergence that I had never thought of before, pictures and scrap booking. A few years ago I saw that scrap booking online was the new thing because you could store more pictures and make more pages without running out of room or materials!

    I agree, there is still something about holding that book in your hands as opposed to looking on it on a screen. As I was researching this topic, one article made note that books are now being viewed as pieces of art instead of a daily tangible good. Books have to diversify themselves in this market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your opinion on too much technology taking away from natural human communication. I mentioned in my blog how it is also adding to laziness which leads to obesity - such as buying something online instead of going to the store, etc. I found it interesting that you mentioned digital picture freames, I didn't think about that one as a form of digital convergence, but it makes a lot of sense! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea that now we as individuals now have a variety of outlets to have our own "shelf" space is an interesting concept. The statement by itself implies that we did not have these forms of self expression before or at least it was more difficult to display, share, and create our own individual footprint in our world. The idea tha these new technologies allow us to create as well as recieve media is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of making a video and using music that I get from somewhere else to integrate with it. The music that is available to us through Creative Commons.
    I also like the Push TV concept but probably not interested enough to invest. I like the long tail of Netflix and it works well for me, with my DVD player. Some things are just not worth making tons of changes for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you mentioned that you feel almost smothered by all this new technology. I agree. Sure, I have an iPod nano, but I'd much prefer listening to the radio or popping in a CD (yes, they still exist!) I'm afraid by the time I grow up there will be so many different competing electronic devices that support digital convergence that it'll drive everyone crazy trying to keep up with the latest gadget.

    ReplyDelete